Thursday, September 29, 2011

Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day by Winifred Watson

genre: adult fiction
for the Great Book Bloggers Swap

Miss Pettigrew, righteous and dowdy governess, is on the verge of landing in the workhouse. When Miss Pettigrew arrives at the door of Miss LaFosse, she is anticipating a job interview. What she gets instead is an absolute whirlwind of a day among the charming and worldly Miss LaFosse’s friends – and somehow Miss Pettigrew just keeps getting things RIGHT. She saves the day, over and over, using her own good sense and the breadth of her romantic film knowledge.

Following Miss Pettigrew through this most astonishing day is wonderfully charming, to say the least. As a character she’s so cleverly conflicted, between her strict and upright upbringing and the excitement and thrills of a wicked life. Her common sense is a breath of fresh air that you can’t help but fall in love with.  I found myself chuckling more than once at her own wonder at finding herself in situations she'd only seen in the movies.  SEEING people KISS?  Shameful and almost too thrilling.

I want to hand this book to people I like, it’s so much fun. I just want them to give it back when they’re done.


note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds delightful! I may have to buy it for my mother.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the persephones I want to read above all others. Sounds charming!

Melissa said...

I adore this one (so much so, that I'm loathe to lend it to people; I'm afraid they'll hate it, or be offended by it). I'm glad you saw the charm in it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...