Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bunheads by Sophie Flack

genre: young adult fiction

Hannah is a dancer, on the cusp of what might be a real career as a ballerina. With an incredibly focused mind and a nearly perfectly tuned body, she spends all day rehearsing and all evening performing.  Despite her desires to get ever-better roles, she knows how charmed her life must seem.

But underneath the bun and the tutu, there is hours of grueling practice, ruthless competition with girls who are supposed to be your friends and a self-inflicted bubble that excludes almost anything outside the rehearsal hall or the theater.  If you truly love dance, then this is just what it takes, right?  Hannah has always thought so, but soon a new boy in her life makes her ask questions of herself and her dedication for the first time.

This was a fun, fast read.  I appreciated most of all how authentic Hannah's voice and experiences are.  I wasn't surprised at all to learn that the author was a dancer - too many details rang true.  It felt like I was reading a variation of the movie Center Stage, which, frankly, I really enjoy, so it didn't bother me.  I love to read about the backstage experience and Hannah was a well-rounded, conflicted character.   I would read more from this author.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This is only the second review I've read of this book and they were both positive. The book sounds like fun!

Melissa said...

I've seen this one at the store, and wondered if it was any good. I'm glad it was! It sounds like something I need to get to eventually...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...