Friday, March 21, 2014

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

genre: paranormal

Blue lives in a household of women.  These women are her family and she differs from them in one important way: they are all psychic, she is not.  When a strange vision introduces her to a boy she's never seen before, she's more than a little disappointed when she realizes he's one of them: a Raven Boy.  A prep-school rich kid and she despises prep school rich kids.  Right?  Except, she soon realizes that things are not so much what they seem and this prep-school boy and his three friends have found their way into something far bigger than Blue could have imagined.

I liked this.  I liked it a lot. It was not what I expected.  It took me to strange and paranormal places where the soon-to-be-dead or already-dead can speak, where women can see pieces of the future and where a secret energy is powerful enough to change everything.  I liked Blue's relationship with these boys, her own issues felt real and those boys are deep and conflicted characters, almost to the point of frustration as a reader.  But I believed it, the solid writing and twinkle of future romance hooked me.  I've already requested the next one from my library.

2 comments:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I have both on my shelf. Haven't read either one.

Marg said...

I have heard so many good things about this book. I have it out from the library at the moment so hopefully I will get to read it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...