Saturday, May 17, 2014

Division of the Marked by March McCarron

genre: fantasy-ish

When fourteen-year-old Yarrow wakes to find a new tattoo on his neck, he knows what it means: that he's Marked.  He's one of an exclusive entity of men and women that exist in a class apart. With special abilities and opportunities, Yarrow anticipates a life of study and peace - except that something is clearly wrong. Marked children are disappearing and Yarrow must know why.

I don't know why I'm surprised by how much I liked this.  I really did.  This is some amazing world building - the "gifts" that the Marked are given are a great twist on the old formula and the characterization is deep and believable.  I love the martial arts feel of the entire book, especially the juxtaposition of the smooth and rooted T'ai chi type of warrior and the fast and furious weapons-master fighter.  There were enough twists and surprises, the pacing felt mostly right.  Sometimes the dialogue dripped into a formality that jarred me, but that felt more like an editing oversight than a story problem and this story, with its mystery and relationship-building and Asian ambiance hit the spot for me.  I appreciated the diversity (of all kinds and across the board) and the surprisingly deep insights into what loving someone really means and the absolute worth of a soul. Fine piece of work for a first time author.


note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...