Sunday, November 2, 2014

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

genre: ya dystopia

For all of Lynn's life she's known one thing: if you don't defend your water, you loose your water. And if you loose your water?  You might as well be dead.  Because in the world Lynn grew up in, fresh water is a commodity so scarce that it requires diligence and a heart hard enough to cold-blooded kill to protect whats yours.  When strangers lurk and the solitude is deafening,  Lynn finally looks to a neighbor for help, and in trusting one, she finds herself on the brink of letting herself be a part of a tiny community in a world where everyone needs help to survive.

This was engaging enough - a harsh world, to be sure, but a pretty believable one.  The world building I believed, the dialogue and character development I didn't.  The romance fell completely flat and ended up being completely unfulfilling.  I don't mind violence in a dystopian world, but for some reason this just felt almost commonplace.  Like our protagonist never got to the point where killing people was a problem - and maybe that's the kind of grit you need to survive in her world but as a reader, it was hard to feel like the girl was really growing as a character.  Strangely enough, I think I liked it better when I was reading it than I do know when I'm thinking about it.  Probably would really appeal to teens who love Hunger Games.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...