Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

genre: young adult

In Tana's life, vampires are both ancient and new.  The resulting bloodbath has caused world governments to set up Coldtowns - walled cities where vampires and those who dare to walk the razor's edge can live separate from the humans who want them and their teeth as far away as possible.  When a party goes horribly, horribly wrong, Tana finds herself on the run with two boys, BOTH of whom are a horrible choice for her and death seems to be inevitable, Coldtown the only refuge that makes any sense.  But she's spunky - and Tana, with the help of those dangerous boys, manages to continuously get herself out of situations she should never be in.  In a fight against an evil she doesn't even understand, Tana is going to have to cling to her humanity if she really wants to keep it.

I think I just don't really love vampire books.  Or books with a lot of gore and blood. That's my problem.  Because this book is actually quite well written, there are some very, very lovely sentences in here - they are glossy and beautiful and like poetry. But usually those sentences are about blood.  Or drinking blood. Or wanting some blood.  And I'm just not into blood.   That's the problem.  So my three stars is completely subjective because I am not into it, which maybe isn't fair but there you go.  The vampire "infection" was also incredibly confusing for me.  I don't feel like I'm slow to get things but even after having it explained to me in various ways throughout the book, I still felt like I didn't really GET it all.   I also had a hard time suspending my disbelief sometimes because it is hard for me to believe that a girl can use a crossbow to shoot a human because she's good at darts?  Really?  I've seen a person shoot a crossbow.  It is quite challenging.  I can't even pull back the string on one and I'm adult.  Anyway, I digress.  Point is, I liked the plot and the writing enough read it to the finish, but I didn't love.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I didn't care for this one either.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...