Monday, July 27, 2015

Classic Starts: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

genre: children's mystery

A few weeks ago my 10 year old son asked me to read him a Classic Starts book we had around the house called The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - a chapter book of stories told for younger children. Each chapter is its own mystery.  There is murder in them, although not graphic, and some of the stories are a little complicated.  However, my son loved it and always begged for more.  You do get some sense of Sherlock's personality and they are told from Watson's point of view, as in the original.  They picked mostly interesting ones - involving lots of animals and jewels and hidden tunnels.  The final story ended in a way that made no sense to me or my older son (age 12), who has already read the book and liked it but was confused about the resolution to the mystery. At any rate, it's a good introduction and I think it's done well enough that if I found something else similar about Sherlock, my son would want more.  He'd give it 4 stars, I'd probably give it 2.5 or 3 so we'll just round to a 3 :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...