Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Pure by Julianna Baggott

genre: young adult dystopian

Pressia's world is a dark one, coated in ash - what remains of our earth after the Detonations.  Alone with her grandfather, they eke out a living in the shadow of The Dome - a self-contained city that's safe from the contamination that has ravaged earth.  As she approaches the age in which Pressia will either be conscripted as a soldier or trapped and used as a live target, she knows she needs to go underground.  But when she meets Partridge - who clearly managed to escape the effects of the Detonations - everything she thinks she knows begins to shift. He has spent most of his life inside The Dome, but it's clearly not the paradise those from the outside imagine.  Surrounded by a wasteland populated by unimaginably horrible creatures and aware that something bigger than what they know is happening, Pressia and Partridge need answers.  Fast.

Hmmm.  I liked this.  I actually did - at first I wasn't sure because the dialogue felt simplistic and almost cheesy and that made it slow going for me but about 2/3 of the way through the action picked up and things got more interesting.  In fact, in the last few chapters we are fed so many answers and given so many more questions that it felt almost as though the pacing was off - but I can't deny that I'm intrigued.  If the book ended three chapters earlier I would've ditched the series - I still don't love the dialogue and the romance is pretty flat to me but I think I've committed because I do want to know what happens to these characters.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...